- Are there any warning signs to look for?
- Who is responsible for paying for the service?
- What is the difference between mould and mildew?
If there are dark spots on your ceiling, floors or walls, this is a sure sign of mould growth. Musty odours and mildew are often also signs that mould may be growing in your home. Respiratory and allergy symptoms such as coughing, sneezing, trouble breathing and wheezing are a common indicator of mould growth as well. High humidity levels in the home that result in condensation on glass and metal surfaces are also a warning sign of mould.
As the commercial property owner, you are responsible for payment and will need to sign a form authorizing payment for the restoration services. If this is an insurance claim, ServiceMaster Restore generally collects only the deductible (co-payment) amount from you and bills the balance to your insurance provider as a service to you. If you have a large loss, your mortgage company may be included as a payee on the payment from your insurance company, and you may need to obtain a signature from them as well. If your claim is not covered by insurance or you decide not to file a claim, you will be expected to pay in full. A payment schedule may be agreed upon prior to the start of any non-insured work.
Mildew is a surface fungus that easily develops on cardboard, books and even fabrics. Mildew usually grows in a flat pattern and may appear powdery. Mildew usually starts out white and may later turn to yellow, brown or black. It can usually be treated with a store-bought cleaner and scrub brush. Mould is usually fuzzy in appearance and can be many different colours including white, yellow, blue, green, brown, gray and black. Mould will cause structural damage to your home and can cause numerous health issues.